PhD in Criminal Justice
If you are thinking of becoming a professor, psychologist, or researcher in the criminal justice system, you will need to get a PhD in Criminal Justice. This is the highest criminal justice degree program you can pursue, and it should lead to the highest paying jobs. Doctoral graduates are the movers and shakers of the field of criminal justice, and they are the ones that ultimately determine how other people work on a daily basis. If that sounds like the right kind of work for you, you may want to go through with a full PhD program. Here is an overview of what that may entail so you can prepare for the work to come.
Degrees before a PhD in Criminal Justice
A full PhD program from beginning to end will take about 10 to 11 years to complete, but there are several degrees you may pass through along the way. You will have to progress from undergraduate learning to graduate level learning, and you will learn all kinds of information as you move along. The list below shows some of the degree programs you may go through on your way to a PhD. You can use this to plan your trek through college:
- Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Science
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
- Master of Psychology
- Master of Forensic Science
- Master of Forensic Psychology
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Social Work
Once you pass through all of those degrees, you will end up in a doctoral program for psychology, criminal justice, or forensic psychology, depending on the school you choose to attend and the career you want to pursue. Complete that last degree program, and you will be the proud owner of a PhD.
Courses in Criminal Justice PhD Programs
The classes you take to get a PhD in Criminal Justice will vary based on your school of choice. Some schools delve more into certain subjects than others, but they all cover the same basic information in the end. Here is a chart showing some of the courses you may go through in your criminal justice degree:
You can check with your school of choice for more information about the specific classes you will have to take in college.
Job Prospects for PhD Graduates
Once you graduate with your PhD in Criminal Justice, you will be able to work in a variety of careers. Some of these careers pay more than others, so it is important to assess all of your options before settling into one. You want to pick a job that will pay well for you to do something you enjoy. Here is a list of positions and pay rates you may want to keep in mind:
- College Professor: Median Income – $62,050 per year 1
- Probation Officer: Median Income – $47,200 per year 2
- Detective or Criminal Investigator: Median Income – $42,870 per year 3
- FBI Agent: Median Income – Potentially – $25,195 to $118,957 per year 4
- Forensic Psychologist: Median Income – $68,640 per year 5
- Legal Assistant: Median Income – $46,680 per year 6
- Police Detective: Median Income – $55,010 per year 7
- Security Guard and Gaming Surveillance Officers: Median Income – $24,380 per year 8
Think about where you want to be in the future and determine if a PhD in Criminal Justice can get you there. If so, prepare to go through many years of training to obtain your degree. As long as you are willing to put forth the work for your education, it will be out there to guide you to success.
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Postsecondary Teachers. Review January 29, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm#tab-5
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Probation Officer and Correctional Treatment Specialists. Review January 29, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/probation-officers-and-correctional-treatment-specialists.htm#tab-5
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Private Detectives and Investigators. Reviewed January 29th, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/private-detectives-and-investigators.htm
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, “Citing Websites.” Salary Table 2006-GS. Effective date: January 2006. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://archive.opm.gov/oca/06tables/pdf/saltbl.pdf
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Psychologists. Review January 29, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Life-Physical-and-Social-Science/Psychologists.htm#tab-5
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Paralegals and Legal Assistants. Review January 29, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Legal/Paralegals-and-legal-assistants.htm#tab-5
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Police and Detectives . Review January 29, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/police-and-detectives.htm#tab-5
- United States Department of Labor, “Citing Websites.” Security Guard and Gaming Surveillance Officers . Reviewed January 29th, 2013. U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/security-guards.htm
Popular Schools and Recommended Degrees
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University now enrolls more than 90,000 students from around the world in its thriving online program. Currently, Liberty University Online has the highest retention and graduation rates of any leading online university.
Everest University Online offers programs in criminal justice, homeland security, business administration, paralegal and many more. With Everest University, you will benefit from career-focused education, distinguished faculty, flexible class schedules, student support and career placement services.
Now knowledge is everywhere, for everyone, making earning your college degree a real possibility. Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University, and earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree you've always wanted. Your Ashford University experience provides:
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Technical University is an excellent university that prides itself in the support, flexibility and resources it offers its students. Students that attend this school learn all the skills they need to be competitive in the job market.